Search This Site
Banyule BPi - Home
Banyule BPi - Building Permits & Inspections

Owner Builder Registrations

What is an Owner Builder?

An owner builder is defined as a person who constructs, renovates or extends a domestic building on their own land, who is not in the business of building.

From June 2005 owner builders:

  • Must obtain a Certificate of Consent from the Building Practitioners Board in order to obtain a building permit to carry out domestic building work valued over $12,000
  • Must ensure they read and understand information on their legal obligations and responsibilitie


Owner builder may only obtain building permits for a single dwelling and associated work on a single property, in any three-year period. 


What is a Certificate of Consent?

A Certificate of Consent is an individual written approval to act as an owner builder on their own land in Victoria.

Owners who intend to apply for a building permit for domestic building work as an owner builder must provide to the relevant building surveyor a Certificate of Consent issued by the Building Practitioners Board. 

What are the potential benefits of being an owner-builder?
Many owner builders get satisfaction from undertaking their own building work. They often use their own trade or management skills and generally perform many of the tasks themselves.

Owner builders may save money when they use their own skills and assume the risk that a builder would otherwise undertake. Of course they may just as easily lose money when things do not run smoothly or when mistakes are made along the way.

An owner builder may benefit from managing the project so that work occurs when money is available. This often spreads the project over many months or years but is an affordable alternative for some. In this regard, it is important to note that a building permit is valid for only two years. Also, an owner builder needs to be aware of possible cost increases of materials over time. If the project is likely to go for longer, an extension of time should be requested from the relevant building surveyor before the permit expires.

Owner Builder Consent Further Information
Further information on Owner Builder Consent should be obtained directly from the Victorian Building Authority

Print Version  |  Last Updated: 29.11.2007